The premier S.E. Shires B-flat trumpet, the Destino III has developed through a close collaboration with Doc
Severinsen over several years. The Destino III includes several specific design elements not found on other S.E.
Shires trumpets. As might be expected, it works outstandingly for jazz and for commercial/popular music. It has
also become popular among discriminating classical trumpet players, who find it useful for everything from
solo literature to large orchestral works.
Doc Severinsen has poured a lifetime of experience—and countless hours of experimentation, research, and
development at the S.E. Shires factory—into achieving the incredible balance of components that make up
the Destino III. The custom leadpipe and braced, semi-round tuning slide provide an open, but efficient blow,
“right down center.” They balance the standard weight Doc bell taper perfectly. Nickel-silver balusters add
brilliance and character to the sound. Narrow bracing contributes to the instrument’s superlative response,
cleanness, and ease of attack. Powerful and full in the upper and middle registers, this instrument also boasts
a surprisingly full low register. And despite its potential for power, the Destino III’s lightweight front end and
efficient venturi make it capable of incredible delicacy. The Doc Severinsen Destino III unlocks an unbelievably
broad spectrum of nuance and color for any player.
• Key: Bb
• Bore: .459 inch
• Doc Severinsen bell: 4 ¾-inch, one-piece, hand-hammered custom Doc Severinsen taper in standard-weight
brass with traditionally brazed (side) seam, French bead, and dual-radius bell bend
• Doc Severinsen leadpipe: .345-inch venturi, lightweight yellow brass; efficient, flexible, open and free blowing,
with easy, immediate response
• C tuning slide: semi-round, dual-radius bend with standard water key; flexible; responsive and malleable at
low volumes, powerful and bold at high volumes.
• Piston material: hand-lapped Monel
• Valve cluster: two-piece casings, lightweight, with nickel-silver balusters; short bracing between the bell and
valve cluster, the valve cluster and leadpipe.
• Bell engraving: Doc Severinsen Destino III custom engraving
• Features: custom lightweight slides with heavyweight crooks, 1st-valve slide harmonic balancer (removable
weight in the crook), 3rd-valve slide water key
• Finish: silver plate
• Includes S.E. Shires single trumpet case, mouthpiece, and care kit
Please call us for more details and availability of other models.